Can your innovation reduce the amount of energy used in comminution by more than 20 per cent? Sign up for Canada’s Crush It! challenge before 15 January 2019 to put your innovation to the test and be in the running for $10 million in prizes.
The Government of Canada is looking for the best clean technology solution to reduce the energy used in crushing and grinding rocks in the mining industry.
The challenge is to develop a new clean technology solution that transforms how energy is used for crushing and grinding rocks in the mining industry.
CEEC is proud to share excerpts of this challenge from the Impact Canada Challenge website.
- Find clean tech solutions to reduce the amount of energy consumed at the mill by 20 per cent or more
- Present your innovation at #DisruptMining in Toronto in March 2019 – with targeted financial support for selected small-scale innovators
- Top applicants will receive funding to develop, test and demonstrate their solution for a chance at the $5 million grand prize in March 2021
Your solution could be one of the following:
- A clean technology or process that reduces the energy needed to crush and grind mined material in the mill
- Improvements to the ore feed that reduce how much grinding is required
- Optimisation via artificial intelligence, digitisation or integrated sensing
- Processing alternatives that would eliminate the need to crush and grind
- A game-changing idea that transforms the entire mining operation
Do you have a solution that…
- Generates transformative energy savings at the mill?
- Increases productivity while reducing the environmental impacts of crushing and grinding rock?
- Can be scaled and applied to many operations?
- Has no negative impact on downstream activities?
Are you a small-scale innovator?
Game-changing ideas can come from anywhere! If you are a small-scale innovator with a big idea, micro-grants will be available for successful proposals to help them develop and pitch to the Challenge Jury at the #DisruptMining event, which coincides with the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada Convention in March 2019.
Who can apply?
- For-profit and not-for-profit organisations, such as companies, industry associations and research centres
- Indigenous organisations and groups
- Canadian post-secondary institutions
- Independent small-scaleinnovators and individuals
- 15 January 2019: Deadline to submit applications
- March 2019: Pitch proposal at #DisruptMining event
- May 2019: Top 6 announced
- November 2020: Final submission deadline for Challenge finalists
- March 2021: Final grand prize winner announced
- $10,000for each small-scale innovator selected as one of the up to 12 Challenge semi-finalists to help them pitch their ideas to the Challenge Jury
- Up to $800,000each for up to six finalists to build and test their clean tech solutions.
- $5 milliongrant to the innovator who can demonstrate the best energy breakthrough in crushing and grinding rocks
CEEC strongly encourages applications by teams linked to Canada for this world-leading opportunity.
For more information and resources to help your application, visit: https://impact.canada.ca/en/challenges/crush-it