Dr Andrew Newell reported on the AusIMM’s 13th Mill Operators Conference in a recent AusIMM Bulletin. CEEC has uploaded selected abstracts via our Resource Centre page.
Held in October 2016, the conference was very well attended, attracting 465 registrations, the highest to date, despite the industry downturn. Andrew stated “The theme of ‘Measure, Manage, Improve’ proved very timely and resonated strongly in the 44 paper and three keynote presentations. Operators represented 22 per cent of the registrants and 37 per cent of the papers presented site experiences and developments. Copper and gold dominated the commodities.”
Session topics included comminution testing, milling and flotation operations and developments, fine grinding, gold operations and developments, tailings, maintenance and instrumentation.
CEEC’s Director Emeritus Professor Tim Napier-Munn presented the Delprat Distinguished Lecture ‘Innovation in Mineral Processing – Distinguished Past and Uncertain Future’, referred to on a previous CEEC news post here. Newell also noted “insightful keynote and post-mortem presentations by the metallurgical community’s ‘critic-in-residence’ Peter Munro”.
Newell reported “The Best Paper was awarded to the paper presented by Robert Sinclair from Resolute Mining Limited, entitled ‘Syama gold mine – the journey towards a class-leading gold mine’, while the Best Presentation was given to Campbell Haines from OceanaGold for ‘The transition from semi-autogenous to autogenous milling at Waihi Gold’”.
CEEC has uploaded abstracts on the following selected papers (titles summarised here) for reader interest:
- Giblett & Daniel.Global mining standards and guidelines for determining comminution circuit efficiency.
- Harbort & Zoetbrood. Operating performance of the Phu Kham IsaMill.
- Nielsen, Lehto & Musuku. Design, installation, commissioning and operation of fine grinding technology at the Kevitsa Mine.
- Parry & van Wyk. Upgrading low-grade gold ore stockpiles by preconcentration using ore sorting – an assessment of the economic impact and viability.
- Giblett & Hart. Grinding circuit practices at Newmont.
- Haines & Bertoldi. The transition from semi-autogenous to autogenous milling at Waihi Gold.
- Ngunz, van Zyl et al. Simplified hybrid semi-autogenous grinding mill control – explanation and practical results at the Porgera concentrator.
- Sulianto, Trott et al. Optimisation of installed mill power post-installation of secondary crushing circuit at Northparkes Mines.
The full proceedings can be obtained through The AusIMM here.
Sincere thanks to The AusIMM and the Conference organising committee, Dean David (Chair), and the many speakers, sponsors, vendors and exhibitors, for providing insights on developments and operations, and a successful conference for all.
Don't forget the popular Iron Ore conference and MetPlant conference are coming up: